Fallout from Trump's trade wars felt by economies around the world

Reuters | October 20, 2019

The collateral damage of the United States’ trade wars is being felt from the fjords of Iceland to the auto factories of Japan. Central bank governors and finance ministers traded grim tales of suffering economies at the International Monetary Fund and World Bank fall meetings in Washington this week. Some also noted how far U.S. policy had shifted from the 1940s, when Washington co-founded the IMF. At that time, “the world economy had been hammered for over a decade by high tariff barriers, depression and war,” prompting then-U.S. Treasury Secretary Henry Morgenthau to champion a global economic system, World Bank President David Malpass told attendees at a session this week.

Spotlight

The Medicare Part D program was established in 2006 under the Medicare Modernization Act (MMA). This program was designed to subsidize the cost of prescription drugs, such that Medicare beneficiaries were responsible for 25.5% of the aggregated cost of standard drug coverage while the government funded the remaining 74.5%'. Note, this 74.5% funds basic claim coverage for all members, though the government also funds aspects of Part D through other means, such as subsidies for low income members and risk corridor payments for plans who experience greater losses than expected.

Spotlight

The Medicare Part D program was established in 2006 under the Medicare Modernization Act (MMA). This program was designed to subsidize the cost of prescription drugs, such that Medicare beneficiaries were responsible for 25.5% of the aggregated cost of standard drug coverage while the government funded the remaining 74.5%'. Note, this 74.5% funds basic claim coverage for all members, though the government also funds aspects of Part D through other means, such as subsidies for low income members and risk corridor payments for plans who experience greater losses than expected.

Related News

GOVERNMENT FINANCE

Tyler Technologies Extends 22-Year Contract for Digital Government and Payment Solutions in the State of Utah

Tyler Technologies | December 01, 2021

Tyler Technologies, Inc. today announced that the state of Utah has signed a multi-year contract extension for Tyler’s digital government and payments services. The two-year agreement expands upon the existing 22-year relationship with Tyler’s subsidiary, NIC. “For 22 years, we have worked closely with state and local government entities across Utah to provide constantly-evolving and award-winning digital government and payment services that drive innovation, convenience and adoption. We could not be more pleased to continue that critical work in 2022 and beyond as we expand technology’s role in government.” Elizabeth Proudfit, president of Tyler’s NIC Division NIC Utah designed, hosts, and manages the state’s official website, Utah.gov, in partnership with the state and is a trusted partner to 56 Utah government entities delivering online services and information. In 2020 alone, NIC Utah securely processed nearly 57 million online transactions and more than $400 million on behalf of its Utah government partners. Also in 2020 in response to the pandemic, NIC Utah deployed a chatbot to provide rapid responses to questions and concerns about COVID-19. Most recently, Utah finished second overall among states in the 2021 State Government Experience awards, presented by the Center for Digital Government. Utah has placed in the top three of the overall awards in every year it has been eligible since 2006, including first place finishes in 2007, 2009, 2017, and 2018. About Tyler Technologies and NIC Acquired by Tyler Technologies on April 21, 2021, NIC is a leader in digital government solutions and payments, partnering with government to deliver user-friendly digital services that make it easier and more efficient to interact with government. NIC and Tyler are united in their mission to empower public sector entities to operate more efficiently and connect more transparently with their constituents and with each other. Tyler has more than 37,000 successful installations across more than 12,000 locations, with clients in all 50 states, Canada, the Caribbean, Australia, and other international locations. Tyler has been named to Government Technology's GovTech 100 list five times and has been recognized three times on Forbes' "Most Innovative Growth Companies" list.

Read More

GOVERNMENT BUSINESS

SAIC Selected by U.S. General Services Administration for ASTRO Family of Contracts to Provide a Broad Array of IT Support Services

SAIC | January 04, 2022

Science Applications International Corp. was awarded prime contract positions on the General Services Administration (GSA) ASTRO multiple-award, indefinite-delivery, indefinite-quantity family of contracts. Managed by GSA’s Federal Systems Integration and Management Center (FEDSIM) office, SAIC is one of only six companies awarded all 10 contracts. The award of the GSA ASTRO contracts is an innovative and strategic addition to SAIC’s existing portfolio of contract vehicles accessible to customers across the federal government. Under this potential 10-year, new-business family of contracts, the awards provide contract access for Department of Defense and federal civilian customers to SAIC’s technical expertise and experience in providing a broad array of services to support manned, unmanned and optionally manned systems, robotics and platforms. GSA ASTRO has no defined ceiling value and is a family of 10 separate contracts, or pools, each representing a different scope of work. The pools include data operations, mission operations, aviation, ground, space, maritime, development/systems integration, research, support and training. About SAIC SAIC® is a premier Fortune 500® technology integrator driving our nation’s technology transformation. Our robust portfolio of offerings across the defense, space, civilian and intelligence markets includes secure high-end solutions in engineering, digital, artificial intelligence and mission solutions. Using our expertise and understanding of existing and emerging technologies, we integrate the best components from our own portfolio and our partner ecosystem to deliver innovative, effective and efficient solutions that are critical to achieving our customers' missions.

Read More

EMERGING TECHNOLOGY

NOAA Partners with Google to Boost Weather Forecasts with AI

NOAA | October 27, 2020

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration and Google linked up to cooperatively steer artificial intelligence and machine learning-driven pilot projects that could advance the agency’s environmental monitoring, weather predicting, and climate research capabilities. Through a three-year deal unveiled Tuesday, the two will collectively study and develop small-scale AI systems and eventually wider-ranging prototypes that might be infused across NOAA’s broader enterprise. Such resources would be of good use to the water and climate-focused agency, which is responsible for providing raw data for weather forecasts nationwide, including those used to predict hurricanes and other natural disasters.

Read More